The challenge that the project addresses
The COVID-19 is highlighting many inequities in service delivery across sectors but the silo-ed approach of health care needs to be addressed urgently. Community based services must be developed and supported to ensure the mental, physical, social, economic, spiritual and community health needs. This project addresses the safety, health and food security issues affecting citizens of the Kensington and Factreton area in Cape Town.
What is your project doing to respond to this challenge?
- We are supporting the community with education on keeping healthy.
- We assist the vulnerable to access support from the Department of Social Development.
- We coordinate with the team and different networks to get food parcels to the most vulnerable in the community.
- We are supporting the development of solidarity kitchens so that people maintain their dignity and do not have to queue for food.
- We are promoting whole community involvement through the “help your neighbour” concept.